Wathiqat Wattan strives to preserve the eyewitness’ contemporary national memory and protect it from loss, distortion or fraud by contributing to:
– Writing a contemporary Syrian history according to precise criteria with the purpose of preventing any intervention that aims at falsifying or distorting it.
– Constructing a collective public opinion concerning the reality of significant events following the methodology of oral history.
– Collecting a rich and integrated archive of audiovisual documents and making it accessible to researchers
– Creating an oral history database
– Writing the life history of prominent and influential figures in society
– Documenting and preserving the memory of crafts, professions and heritage works that are endangered.
– Documenting the history of languages, dialects and terminology, etc., according to the approved scientific methodology by Wathiqat Wattan.
– Documenting the different feature of tangible cultural heritage (churches, mosques, monuments, etc.) according to the methodology of oral history.
– Documenting significant events whether they are diplomatic, political, military, negotiations, etc.
– Establishing a national center for history and oral documentation which works in cooperation with specialist and competent authorities.
– Developing collective awareness based on a culture of accepting the other and respecting social pluralism.
– Providing opportunities to invest the outputs of the origination in new productions (life history, studies, books, research, films, …)
– Providing those who are interested with an opportunity to document their memory according to the criteria and methodology adopted by Wathiqat Wattan
– Introducing the concept of oral history to educational curricula and integrating it within the official and private institutions as a modern and contemporary way of preserving memory.
– Integrating the concept of oral history in the different sectors of society by developing educational and cultural programmes that raise awareness of the significance of preserving history.
– Developing sound scientific methodology in oral documentation and setting criteria that can be applied in accordance with the Syrian regulations.
– Enabling a culture of oral documentation within the various sectors of society through educational and cultural programs that can raise awareness of the importance of history and the significance of preserving it
– Providing support and guidance to researchers and those who are interested in oral documentation and evaluate their work according to clear methodology.
– Setting a national portal for an oral history database that is accessible to historians, researchers and all interested parties.
– Introducing new historical knowledge that revises notions that consider historical events as the single source of information and supplements it instead with historical research that is comprehensive of all social classes.